Adagio of Peace Completion: 0%
Symphony of Binding Power: 15%

The Demon of Silence Forces:

TURN 1 - FIGHT!

Next Action Deadline: 9/20/19

Last edited by Aeront on Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
GM_3826
GM_3826

Battle 6: vs Demon of Silence Lv 16 Empty Re: Battle 6: vs Demon of Silence Lv 16

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:39 pm
As the terrifying monster revealed itself, Bran gulped. This is a lot to take in. That said, he had no regrets.

The moment it became clear that victory rested on the conductor and their nephew, Bran began to cast a spell. His footwork had noticeably improved given the short time he had spent practicing it, although it was unlikely to alter the spell's effectiveness.

Knowing that our enemy is a demon of silence, I'll need to fall back on the training Arthur gave me... I hope that will be enough.

Vision of the Historian: Target Ormen. How can Regiment 1-31 help him write his melody?

Bran: Cast a spell on Ormen, granting them a shield to protect them against damage.
[VIOLET]
[VIOLET]

Battle 6: vs Demon of Silence Lv 16 Empty Re: Battle 6: vs Demon of Silence Lv 16

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:47 pm
"Hnh," Arthur scoffed, a deep crease at the corner of his nose as he surveyed the area.:

>Arthur: As Watcher - Use Focused Defender on Avelia, preparing to intercept a Melee attack. Advise and encourage the party to keep their focus even in spite of the surrounding illusions, hopefully bolstering their morale enough to offer some resistance to any incoming mental assault.
Claris
Claris

Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:52 am
As I stood there, panic creeping in, the terror of the demon I'd chosen to face looming over me, Arthur's kind words broke through.

"Even when the world is twisted beyond recognition, or you've lost sight of the beginning and the end, this shall always be true- you start from the ground, and build up."

You know...he's right. From the ground, then. And...from the heart, I should sing.

Severa: Cast Crystalline Barrier on Ormen, assisting Bran in his defensive action. Secondly, use Note of Empowerment on Arthur, assisting in his morale-raising action.
Sharks
Sharks

Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:14 am
>Yam: Summon a minion which is a crop of bell peppers which are actually functional bells, which autonomously harmonizes with everyone's music.
Aeront
Aeront
Admin
https://terrafirma.forumotion.com

Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:42 am
As Arthur speaks to him, Ormen wiggles uncomfortably. "I-I'm sorry, I know it's not much. But if you want to know where it starts from, I... I started this song after a dream I had. Well, have had, quite a few times. It keeps coming back, and I can't get it out of my head: I'm standing at the front of a crowd of dark figures, a chilly wind stirring around me. We're all standing on a cliff, and down below, I see this giant monster surrounded by dozens of little lights, each one tearing away at the world. And I play a song like speaking words, saying... something. Erghhh," he taps the side of his head a few times, "what was it about? There was something going on..."

Bran uses Vision of the Historian on Ormen! At the end of the turn, he'll gain vision into how to help him write his melody.

Wasting no time, Arthur offers an inspiring speech, encouraging the party to keep focus! As he does so, Severa utilizes her Note of Empowerment, embewing Arthur with a divine power! All of his stats are now treated as +4! With a powerful charisma, Arthur imparts his allies with Will of the Heroes! With this status, all allies gain an increased resistance to illusions and deceptions, not easily believing what is before them, as well as +5 Power!

"Wow..." Ormen marvels, drinking in the fierce stance of the swordsman. "It's like something out of an old story... almost familiar..." he says the next words in a sing-song voice, eyes closing slightly. "A time-worn hero, fierce and foreboding, staring down darkness unafraid..." he quickly follows the words with a melody from his flute, bringing out the dark sound of Arthur's cello.

Up above, the massive heads of the demons seem to slow their movements, eyes following the small, weaving motions of Ormen's flute. Then, in time with the music, the creature's heads begin to sing. As before, the rest of the world and music is brought to nothing before its words, but they themselves hold a harmony, more unified than any before. "Yet the City of Silence still sleeps.."

Waiting just a beat, Cormen responds, almost defiant, parroting the melody, "Yet the City of Silence still dreams!"

As soon as Ormen finishes, the demon seems to return to normal. As it does, Ormen positively leaps, a victorious smile. "Yes, that! That's the song that's been playing in my head these last months! 'The City of Silence'... I don't know what it is, but I'm sure that's the melody!" Acting quickly, he writes down the music, nodding at it with satisfaction. "If we can just get the rest of it, we can end this!"

Ormen composes the first piece of the The Adagio of Peace: it's now 20% complete!

Arthur then readies his defenses for Avelia from Melee attacks using Focused Defender! He'll intercept any melee attacks aimed at her this turn! Targeting Avelia also activates his Watcher Ability, granting her +2 Effective Advantage this round!

Bran sweeps his staff, an arcane power gathering around him as he begins to conjure a defense. At the same time, Severa activates her Crystalline Barrier, the magical essence being bolstered by divine gems! The two magics sweep and ebb through each other as they produce a duet, Bran's barrier the dance of piano keys, Severa's crystals a supporting choir. Though they don't quite manage to get their efforts together in harmony,they still form an Arcane Crystal Barrier around Ormen! The barrier has 530 HP, and will deal damage to the enemy if destroyed by a melee attack!

Severa is exhausted from the effort... (-1 Adv)

Yam places her hands on the ground and calls upon the power of the earth, summoning a small bush of bell peppers! While the crops hanging from the leaves feature the same bright colors as usual, the peppers themselves ring gleefully, quickly harmonizing with the party's music. The construct has 400 HP.

"Oh!" Avelia starts, "well, I suppose that's another way we can gain reinforcements.

The Symphony of Binding has reached 20% power!

Saul uses Prayer of Deliverance, targetting Bran! A holy, peaceful light surrounds the mage -- he gains 30% damage resistance to all Faith-based attacks!

Erika performs a powerful guitar solo, aiming at the nearby illusionary space! As her guitar riffs strike the walls of the cave, they begin to buckle and fade, the barriers of the space weakening!

"What the... Regiment 1-31! Is that you?"
Running through a now-wavering wall nearby, Russel leads a group of soldiers, his sword balanced on his shoulder. "Oh thank goodness, we finally found you all! We were trapped in this stairwell that only lead down for so long..."

"Russel! Glad to see you're still kicking!" Giada greeted him. "We're putting together a band, jump in here!"

Russel and Regiment 1-21 have appeared! Once enchanted, they'll be able to join their power to your own!

Giada strikes several buttons on the side of her armor -- a few seconds later, with a pop!, a disc launches into the air, which she catches. She immediately tosses the disc at the ground just before Severa, where it proceeds to fan open. The disc expands at contact, growing larger and wider, until its formed a chest-high barricade! The barricade provides Cover to Severa, giving her 40% resistance to ranged attacks and +1 defense in general!

"I like this plan!" Giada says, pounding the fists of her suit together. "We'll just take defensive positions and get that song ready to go!"

Emilia, following the lead of the others, holds back her offensive. She takes a defensive position behind Giada, focusing. What was it those mages talked about? Charging their circuits? She wasn't sure what that was, but... things were escalating. She couldn't afford to just be a girl with a bow in the woods anymore, if she really wanted to see things set right. She concentrated on the tingling feeling at the ends of her fingertips, willing it together, into her muscles, ready to act...!
Emilia gains Charged Magic Circuits!

Avelia raises her conductor's baton to Russel and his soldiers -- with a wave of the implement, the weapons in their hands begin to emit a symphony of sound!

The Symphony of Binding has reached 40% power!

The Demon of Silence emits an otherworldly noise as it begins to act!

It begins by activating Silence Soul, targetting Severa, a crashing chorus of chaotic sound aimed straight for her...!

"Don't worry, I've got you!" Giada calls out, activating her Stalwart Shield, redirecting the Technique to herself as she leaps in front of Severa! The terrible sound strikes, causing Giada to give a pitched scream... before she's suddenly Silenced, unable to make any other sound!

The Demon raises two of its clawed talons, and the air around you begins to shimmer as it activates Grand Illusion!! Something is changing...

Suddenly, as you blink your eyes, you feel disoriented. You now stand on a crashing beach of pure white sand, the heads of the demon positioned down the beach from you... wait, no! The Will of Heroes allows you to see the illusion for what it is, and realize that Russel and the others are standing down the beach from you, not the demon. The heads of the monsters are instead of the beach head, watching you all with beady curiosity. At seeing you and the others of the party look toward it, the demon seems to vibrate, something else in the atmosphere changing...

"Tch, you've been wandering staircases? Unbelievable," a voice incredibly similar to Arthur's speaks from up the beach head. "Count yourselves lucky you found us, then. Bran and that boy with the flute are creating a solution, but we need to withstand the demon's assault first."
"Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it," Giada's voice chimes in next, "I could use a hand, Russel."

"Not a problem! You focus on the music making, we'll handle the monsters," Russel grins, levelling his sword toward Bran. "Regiment 1-21, prepare to attack!"

"Be careful! The demon's illusions are potent," Bran's voice chimes in. "However, as you can see, I've created a glowing band around all of us. If you see anything that looks like us without the bands, it's just an illusion."

"Great thinking!" Russel agrees. "Make some of those for us too! Let's go!"

Russel and Regiment 1-21 are trapped in the demon's illusion! They're convinced that you're the threat!

The Demon of Silence raises one of its massive Talons of Hate and swings it right through Regiment 1-31! Everyone moves to protect themselves!

Having taken cover behind Giada, Emilia is safe from the assault. The engineer herself, despite her protective armor and stance, is still thrown backward, receiving 338 damage!

The next attack heads for Avelia, but is intercepted by Arthur! He parries the first strike headed for him, but is slashed by a follow-up for 226 damage!

Ormen yelps, raising his hands over his eyes as the talon heads straight toward him... but is intercepted by the barrier created by Bran and Severa! The attack deals 512 damage, nearly shattering the barrier!

Saul manages to bat away the strike and Yam is able to vault over the massive talon, but Erika, Bran, and Severa are unable to avoid the attack, each taking 484 damage!

It seems that the arrival of Regiment 1-21 has brought more attention to this battle -- another two of the demon's heads bob into view! The Demon of Silence gains Being of Grandeur (35%): in addition to having a free action every turn, it can use that action at any time, including during the player turn!

As things begin to escalate, Bran recieves his Vision of the Historian, considering how this particular tale should go: it seemed that Arthur's speech-- no, his actions, were able to inspire a portion of Ormen's song. A song he heard in a dream... perhaps it was some sort of fateful metaphor? If he sung about Arthur in his dream, the melody must have to do with the people of Castle High. If that's the case, it'd make sense if Ormen's melody is inspired by the heroic actions or characteristics of your party members. But what was this 'City of Silence' business? And why would the song to lull the demon to sleep have to do with them? It might not be possible to finish the song without knowing...

Castle High Forces:

CASTLE HIGH Lv. 15
HP ????? / 15000

VS

----- / ----- HP
Lv. 16 THE DEMON OF SILENCE

Adagio of Peace Completion: 20%
Symphony of Binding Power: 40%

TURN 2 - FIGHT!

Next Action Deadline: 12/30/19

Last edited by Aeront on Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:04 am; edited 2 times in total
GM_3826
GM_3826

Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:03 am
"...No..." Bran whispered. He did not want to fight his friends. Not again.

Should I try and convince Russel and the rest of Regiment 1-21 that the illusion has already taken hold and the version of 1-31 they're fighting with is not their ally? Bran thought. No... Without proof, there's no way for them to know which of us is real.

Turning to the rest of Regiment 1-31, Bran related to them what he had inferred. "It seems that the melody is based on our actions here. In that case, we should try and inspire Ormen through our actions."

Waving his staff as if it were a conductor's baton, Bran began to cast a spell as he muttered an incantation. While the demon was too powerful for him to dispel the illusory environment that they were trapped in, if his counterspell was successful it would negate the illusion that the heads of the demon were the soldiers of 1-31, and vice-versa.

Vision of the Historian: Target the Demon of Silence. How might it be connected to the City of Silence?

Bran: Using Arcane Negation, attempt to dispel the illusion that had swapped the appearance of the heads of the demon and the soldiers of 1-31.
Claris
Claris

Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:05 am
I refuse to take the lives of innocents. Never again!

Thoughts racing, I reach deep, in to memories of distant days...and a song comes to mind.

"Erika! Strike up the band - it's time for a number!"

Evening out my wild breathing, I dig deep, set my stance, and begin to sing...

"You'll never see me, behind this killer's face / These aren't my hands, these talons take their place! This is all part of its plan!"

Severa: Sing. Sing loud. Sing strong. Try to convince the other regiment to look not with their eyes, but with their hearts.
[VIOLET]
[VIOLET]

Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:11 pm
"Well... I suppose the saying goes that one should fight fire with fire..."

>Arthur: As a Warrior - Stand as a Focused Defender by Bran and make sure he can dispel the illusion. Bounce rhythmically back on forth on his feet to produce a steady bass beat for the rest of the musicians...?

Arthur had to admit, it was a little difficult getting used to the fact that all his motions produced sounds... not quite from him? Nothing was popping beneath his feet, or any different with his sword...

...ugh. There was a reason he never learned to play with magic. At least this movement would be unusual enough that Russel might catch the obvious truth; that is, if the swordsman's irritated- not even angry, just exasperated- silence didn't make him doubt himself first.

"Would you believe this isn't me? / That what you get isn't what you see?"
Sharks
Sharks

Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:18 am
>Yam: using your power over the aspect of Lies, keep one part of the illusion and instead of dispelling it, make it so that even the demon and reality itself is fooled; specifically the illusory copy of herself, in an effort to get it and the demon to attack each other/itself. (Lying is complicated.) If you have time, make a broccoli minion to heal whoever has the lowest health at the end of each round
SugarJan
SugarJan

Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:22 pm
As Severa called out to her, Erika got ready to play. As the song began, even though she had never heard it before, it quickly entered her mind and body as only a great song can. She felt it, the rhythm, the melody. Each instrument separated in her mind playing it's own strength before they reformed together again to make an even greater whole. The lyrics echoed through her mind, clear and meaningful. The only way to give a good vocal performance after all, was to believe the words.

As Arthur joined in, the rocker couldn't help but feel the lyrics coming to her mind, along with the visions of those she most held dear. Two men, obviously brothers, one with straight brown hair down to his waist and the other with spiked brown hair and a cigarette in his mouth. They both smiled at her and their eyes held signs of mischief. Tomas and Julio Schiano, her partners in crime and the family she never had. This was followed by the thought of the hell she put them through caused by the mistakes she had made and her death afterward.

Her fingers had already started playing her guitar, helping the others out with the music they needed, as she came out of the vision of her band mates,  she noticed that her tapping feet, alternating between her toes and heel to make the drums. Julio would have been proud. She began to sing.

"I'm not a bad guy / I'm just portrayed that way / No matter what I try / I can't help but hurt those close to me / If you could see that we're who we appear to be"

>Erika: Join the song to break the illusion and convince 1-21 that we're not the enemy, adding music and the continuing the lyrics.
Aeront
Aeront
Admin

Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:27 pm
It starts with Severa's voice striking forth, lone and potent. Her words ring out, and as she reaches the lyrics "This is all part of its plan!", Russel's eyes widen. "Wait a second, music... from the Demon of Silence?"

"Stay with us! It's trying to hypnotize you!" the false voice of Severa calls. "Don't listen to the words, it'll only make the effect stronger--"

But as the voice speaks, a rhythmic bassline joins, Arthur bobbing along as uses Focused Defender (Melee) on Bran -- and as he does, the Bell Pepper Bush rings its bells along with him, accenting beats with cymbal-like splashes! The words continue, "Would you believe this isn't me?"

"Wait a moment, Commander Russel... that doesn't look like the demon, but our own forces!" a katana-wielding warrior of Regiment 1-21 notes.

"Focus upon the conflict, you imbeciles! We've already told you, we are your allies," a false Arthur demands. "You must be witnessing more illusions. Hold fast -- we still wear these bands, so you know we must be true."

The other warriors of Castle High slowly begin to turn their weapons back toward you, not quite able to see...

...only for Erika to burst right in a beat later, igniting a powerful duet! As her drums, guitar and voice elevate the song, you can see the Demon of Silence shudder and shrink back! The two singers unite their voices in perfect harmony, "If you could see that we're who we appear to be!"

At the song's climax, Bran sees the perfect opportunity and casts Arcane Negation! The spell releases as an electronic piano accompaniment, blending into the music perfectly and increasing its potency...!

"Yes, that's it, keep going!" Avelia adds, swinging her baton to the beat -- the grass and stones beneath the Regiment's feet are now visible, and they come a singing chorus, joining the song!

As the number nears its end, Ormen makes for its last entrant! Despite the drums, guitar and voices, the pure tone of his flute shines through, playing the Adagio of Peace as a counter-melody!

With a final strike of everyone's instrument, the song finishes, a magical shockwave carrying its power out through the battlefield!
Russel gapes for a moment at you all before breaking into applause, "that was incredible! I didn't know you all had such musical talent! And I think I'm pretty sure now you all aren't the enemy," he nods, along with the rest of Regiment 1-21.

All around you, you begin to see the Demon of Silence's illusion weaken substantially! You once more find yourself upon a grassy field, though a mist of black smoke still obscures your vision. All the false versions of yourselves have vanished, leaving only the Demon itself!

"Is that... Arthur! Bran! Everyone!" calls Candice's voice, as she and the Support Regiment push through the mist! "There you are! Apologies if you've sustained any injuries -- I've been attempting to escort the Support Regiment back to the main forces, but we were trapped in a buried maze filled with mole creatures... regardless, we're here to assist you."

Candice and the Support Regiment have arrived! Any players who are Incapacitated will now revive as normal.

Using an Advantage, Avelia enchants the weapons and tools of the Support Regiment, adding their musical power to your own! The Symphony of Binding grows to 70% Power!

The song's power inflicted a debuff on the Demon: Silence Defied! Its Power is reduced by 20%, and it can no longer use its Silence Soul Technique!

Candice continues, reloading a pair of revolvers, "The remaining force must still be out there somewhere in the mi--"

"SILENCE!" bellows the demon, voices of frustration and pain. From the dark mist, you see another ten heads emerge, then twenty more, countless of its horrid features as the rest of its body appears from the mist, hulking and invincible!

The majority of the Demon of Silence is now focused upon you, giving it Being of Grandeur (85%)! The demon gains an additional free turn, +20 Power, and will be intent on killing you!

Immediately using this newfound power, the Demon of Silence summons two of its talons to crush Severa! Too tired to avoid the attack, she braces herself as the massive weapons crush her! She takes 565 damage!

Yam captures pieces of the fading illusion and re-constitutes the false image of herself, creating False Yam! This illusion will make a standard attack against the demon every turn, has half of all of Yam's stats and Power, and 300 HP.

Yam then calls upon her earthen powers and summons another minion: a giant floret of broccoli, running around on small green feet. It begins taking stock of the situation, hurrying toward the wounded!

Yam is fatigued from her actions... (-1 Adv)

Saul charges the demon, swinging with his blade to cleave at one of its heads! It tries to bat him away, but he passes through the monster's defenses and slashes it! Though the attack deals no damage, the sound of his blade striking the monster releases the sound of a defiant trombone, battering the creature! It receives a debuff to reduce its Strength by 1, but in turn inflicts Saul with Burning!

False Yam swings forward next, her scythe poised to attack! The demon doesn't seem to notice her, perhaps believing her to still be its own illusion, before she slashes it with her scythe, eliciting a pitched scream! The demon loses another 4% Power, inflicting Burning! on False Yam!

Emilia fires a Medicine Arrow at Erika, healing her for 339 HP!

Giada aims at the demon with her repeater cannons and opens fire! However, the monster writhes out of the way, avoiding any notable hits.

Russel takes a defensive position in front of Severa, saying, "that thing looks pretty mad! Better make sure it doesn't take it out on you anymore."

Ormen uses an Advantage as he takes a second action, writing another section of the Adagio of Peace! The song has added the melody of the Regiment's singing, transitioning back into its original melody afterward: "The knights, reignite the light, to end the coming night, to wake us dreamers 'fore we fall, to find new peace in life for all... so the City of Silence can't sleep... let the City of Silence be free!"

The Adagio of Peace is 45% complete!

The Demon of Silence raises a countless number of its heads into the air and begins to spew fiercely burning embers, which rain down upon the army!

Every single ally and player is inflicted with the Burning status besides Yam, Severa and Emilia! They will all take 150 damage at the end of every turn!

The demon seems fatigued from the musical assault, its body convulsing and moving erratically! It seems the tide has begun to turn--
When suddenly, The Demon of Silence lunges its talons for Avelia!

Giada uses Stalwart Shield, redirecting the attack to herself! It lashes at and around her, attempting to find purchase on her armor, but she withstands the initial strike and pushes the attack away, receiving only 159 damage.

The Demon of Silence expends an Advantage to continue attacking, once again going for Avelia! The conductor tries her best to escape, but one of the talons knocks her over, dealing 345 damage! The talon then scrapes across the grass, dragging Avelia with it back toward the demon itself! Before she can call out, one of the heads reaches down... and consumes her! She disappears within its mouth!! Avelia has been Swallowed, causing 200 damage at the end of every turn and making her unable to act! She can't conduct the Symphony of Binding!

"Aunt Avelia!! Oh no!" Ormen yells, horrified.

Finally, The Demon of Silence uses Curse of Silence to remove Silence Defied, restoring 20% of its Power and enabling Silence Soul once more.

Regiment 1-21 goes through a series of actions themselves: in the end, they manage to cause the Demon's Power to be reduced another 5% and heal Bran for 156 HP.

Bran's Vision of the Historian activates as he examines the demon itself, wondering about this City of Silence... hmm... there are two reasonable possibilities. The first is that the City of Silence is the demon itself, which must be "awoken" in order to defeat. Awakening the souls trapped within it, perhaps, explaining all the heads? The other option is that the City of Silence is some sort of metaphor for something else -- given his last lines about waking 'us dreamers', maybe it somehow refers to the whole kingdom?

Castle High Forces:

CASTLE HIGH Lv. 15
HP ????? / 15000

VS

----- / ----- HP

Adagio of Peace Completion: 45%
Symphony of Binding Power: 70%

TURN 3 - FIGHT!

Next Action Deadline: 1/10/19

Last edited by Aeront on Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
GM_3826
GM_3826

Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:14 pm
"...What in the world?" The Demon of Silence is getting serious now. We can't spare a moment!

There was nothing to be said.

Vision of the Historian: Target Avelia. How can she be freed?

Bran: Use Arcana to cast Arcane Crystal Barrier again, targeting Ormen once more. Then prepare Arcane Negation to counter the Demon of Silence as it casts Bone Fire Combustion. Lastly, use Elemental Conduit to siphon the flames that the Demon of Silence had unleashed, and cast Arcane Storm on the heads of the demon!
[VIOLET]
[VIOLET]

Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:01 pm
Arthur's eyes narrowed as Avelia slipped past him; too fast-- he couldn't reach her in time. Damn... should have known that thing would be watching for her. Still, he kept his stance, face scrunching at the scorching heat biting at his skin... tcch...

...he drew a deep breath. Let the world around him grow quiet... though his skin burned from the embers, and a hot, stinging feeling ripped across the back of his shoulder, it was... all outside of his head. He couldn't do anything about burns that had struck everyone, nor could he help the spewing flame; so all that mattered, then, was his stance...

...and the object ahead of him.

Seemed like that symphony pissed it off a fair bit; though he certainly couldn't produce any sound like that himself (and his own 'instrument' seemed to hover below the sounds around it...), he could at least try to keep its claws off of the others while they continued figuring things out.

His body had followed the trails in the grass left behind as those claws took Avelia, though his mind did not, catching up only when he'd wandered in close enough for the eerie energy of it to start making his vision uncertain. Finally resolving to stand guard, he took a light stance-- elegant, like a heron hanging over the waterside-- and...

the words that left him could not be said- no, they could not be heard, without recalling the image of that person:

"...Hǎi làng wú shēng jiāng yè mù shēn shēn yān mò,

màn guò tiān kōng jìn tóu de, jiǎo luò...

Dà yú zài mèng jìng de fèng xì lǐ yóu guò,

níng wàng nǐ... chén shuì de lún kuò..."

>Arthur: As Warrior - Use Brawler's Challenge on the Demon of Silence, singing a lullaby deeply imbued with sorrow while approaching to keep its attention on him. Then use Focused Defender on himself, guarding with his sword, and prepare to deliver a leaping counterattack with the Dagger of the Broken Kiss- hopefully clawing deeply enough into the demon's throat to make it let go of Avelia..!
Sharks
Sharks

Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:03 pm
>Yam: Using your agricultural magic, summon a rainstorm to put out the fires.
Claris
Claris

Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:08 pm
Severa: Sing as loudly and as beautifully as possible, hoping to offend if not "damage" the demon. Take its aggro, if you will.
Aeront
Aeront
Admin

Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:17 pm
Yam swings her scythe through the air, agricultural magic weaving clouds in her wake! Though the magic forms a dense swarm of rain clouds, the powerful heat and smoke dilute the rain, causing it to only fall as a light drizzle.

The rain reduces the damage all allies take from Burning! from 150 damage to 100 damage!

Bran calls upon his inner magical power, recalling the memory of the Arcane Crystal Barrier spell. Channeling the memory back into the present, the mage collects arcane energy on the end of his staff before sweeping it outward, casting a crystalline barrier over Ormen! The barrier has 570 HP and will deal damage upon being broken.

Bran then watches the demon closely, preparing to counter Bone Fire Combustion...

Finally, Bran uses Elemental Conduit on the massive, growing plumes of hellfire around him, absorbing it as magical potential and gaining Charged Magic Circuits (Hellfire)! He then aligns his sights with the monster... and unleashes an Arcane Storm! Great tendrils of green and purple flame course forward from his staff, a powerful and grand piano solo in their wake, which he barely manages to retain control of! As the destructive magic strikes forth, tongues of flame bite back at him, dealing 151 damage to the mage! The tendrils then pound the demon with fiery strikes, each producing the climatic crash of keys! When the assault finally subsides, the demon appears worse for wear!

The Demon of Silence gets a -8% Power debuff! The illusionary smoke seems to weaken!

Bran is exhausted from the effort... (-2 Adv)

Severa opens her mouth and raises her voice, a loud, beauteous song coming forth! The Demon wails, voices of anger and pain striking out from the vocal assault!

The Demon of Silence gets a -1 Spirit debuff!

The Demon of Silence begins to convulse, its dozens of heads gnashing their teeth and whispering dark horrors! Raising up its massive body, the central, burning head of the demon begins to grow and burn brighter, until suddenly, a single, massive eye appears in its center! The eye gazes straight at Severa, a piercing look, as all at once, it activates Bone Fire Combustion, the fire surrounding Severa growing rapidly...!

When Bran throws up his staff, activating Arcane Negation! The flames weaken for just a moment, held back by the mage's might, allowing Severa to vault away just half-a-second before the flames burn white hot! Though she was able to leave the primary area of attack, the bone-melting heat of the fire still singes every piece of exposed skin she has, dealing 414 damage!

Arthur switches to the Warrior Stance, gaining 1 Advantage! He then activates the Brawler's Challenge with a sorrowful lullaby, the somber tone gaining the attention of dozens of the demon's heads, eyeing him with beady, crying, and hateful eyes. The swordsman's song seems to have the creature's full attention...

Arthur then activates Focused Defender (Melee) on himself, ready to intercept an attack...!

A moment after, The Demon of Silence roars and screams, its massive talons coming to bear as it lashes out wildly. Everyone moves to avoid or block!

Giada is immediately struck by a flurry of blows, as she not only defends Emilia, but uses Stalwart Shield to protect the Bounding Broccoli as well! She manages to maintain her defenses, only suffering a shifting strike from her flank for 304 damage!

Ormen emits a yelp as a talon heads for him, but his barrier absorbs the impact, taking 343 damage.

Due to the creature's weakened state, Russel bats away its strike from himself as Saul and Severa manage to do the same. Erika, Yam and Bran, however, are unable to avoid the assault, each receiving 377 damage!

The talons proceed to cleave straight through False Yam and the Bell Pepper Bush, immediately destroying them both!!

The Demon of Silence's Harvester of Life Ability activates: it gains an extra +2 Advantage and +20 Power!!

At last, the monster turns its attack upon Arthur! He catches one of the column-wide talons upon his sword, diverting the momentum to smash into the ground beside him before leaping into action! Rushing forward, he readies the Dagger of the Broken Kiss and lunges for the demon! In a flurry of momentum and savagery, he thrusts the blade deep into the writhing mass of flesh -- from the point of impact comes an entire chorus, echoing the man's lullaby!! The Demon of Silence cries out, but can't be heard over the outpouring!

All around the Regiment, the illusionary mist begins to grow thin... and the original members of the town's orchestra come through the fog!!

The Symphony of Binding rises to 90% Power!! It's nearly ready!

As the climatic strike lands, Ormen plays along, intertwining this new melody into his own, growing its power!

The Adagio of Peace rises to 65% Completion!

The Demon of Silence gains the Song of Sorrow debuff: it loses one action, takes the equivalent of a 50 Power Attack each turn, and more importantly, can't remove this debuff with Soul of Silence!! Unfortunately, despite his mighty strike, the demon maintains its hold upon the conductor...

Giada taps a number of buttons on her gauntlet, activating her Quick-Construction Chassis. A number small mnemonic arms spring forth, welding tools bringing together loose pieces of scrap from portions of the engineer's suit. A few moments later, a spidery construct rolls out and stands up, a pair of claws holding bandages ready to be applied! It immediately moves over to Bran, wrapping up an injury and healing him for 153 HP.

Russel takes a defensive stance in front of Severa, ready to block any incoming attacks!

Regiment 1-21 manages to attack the demon, reducing its Power by 3% and healing Severa for 201 HP!

Emilia charges up magic, gaining Charged Magic Circuits!

Avelia remains trapped within the demon!

Bounding Broccoli scurries over to Bran, making something resembling concerned noises. It shakes its floret, producing a healing vapor! The vapor removes his Burning! status and heals him for 112 HP!

The Demon of Silence stares down at Arthur with more than a hundred eyes, conveying every human emotion at once from a different face -- hatred, respect, pity, fear, on and on. In their cacophonous voice, they scream and whisper, "Youuu aallREEAADDdyyy kknOOOWWW SIllennceee..."

Suddenly, a number of the heads recoil backward, before slamming into each other, their muscle and flesh grinding together as they form a large orifice! Then, as one, this mass of being lowers itself to the ground, emitting a vile retching noise as it leaves something behind...

"A... A-A-Arth... Arthur...?" this new mass of sinew and fire whispers in a familiar voice to the swordsman. Despite its grotesque form, its body is tall, with width resembling broad shoulders. Its eyes are unmistakably those of a human, and look upon the mercenary with meaningful recognition. A quiet history, a deep pain.

"Why...?" It asks, like uttering the single syllable causes it literal pain. "Why... didn't... you save me? Why did... you... torture me..." bloody tears run down the thing's face, its gaze locked, as if demanding an answer. "Death... hurts... so much..."

The Construct of Landon lifts itself up, long claws extending from its body... and in a diminutive hand, holds a Conductor's Baton! It has the Baton of Nature's Minuet! It turns the baton toward the Demon of Silence and draws some imperceptible power from the monster... before stabbing itself with the baton! "It's okay... I'll deal with the pain... and stay silent... always suffer in silence..."

The Construct of Landon has absorbed the Song of Sorrow into itself, transferring the debuff from the demon!

Bran's Vision of the Historian activates as investigates how to free Avelia. The demon's invincibility makes getting her out through brute force difficult, if not impossible... the only way he can really think of freeing her would be for someone to physically reach in and pull her out, or for some sort of musical magic to release the demon's grip. Any attempt to do so will now gain +10 Power and +1 EA!

Castle High Forces:

CASTLE HIGH Lv. 15
HP ????? / 15000

VS

----- / ----- HP

Adagio of Peace Completion: 65%
Symphony of Binding Power: 90%

TURN 4 - FIGHT!

Next Action Deadline: 1/24/19

Last edited by Aeront on Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:35 pm; edited 4 times in total
GM_3826
GM_3826

Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:24 am
Bran analyzes the setting. Avelia is still inside the Demon of Silence's stomach. She can't stay there much longer before she is digested... He takes a glance at the Coin of Triumph. I have this for a reason.

"Arthur!" Bran looks Arthur in the eyes. "I need your help!"

Bran then takes the Coin of Triumph and flicks it in the air before he begins to cast another spell. Tendrils of darkness start to poke at the air surrounding him as Perkun smiles.

Bran: Create tendrils of darkness and use them to wrest Avelia from the Demon of Silence's stomach.  Use the Coin of Triumph in order to ensure that this succeeds if necessary. Then prepare a barrier spell to deflect one attack targeted at Avelia or Bran himself.
[VIOLET]
[VIOLET]

Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:37 pm
the world stopped:

>Arthur: As Watcher, attempt to behead the Construct of Landon with the Luster Steel Broadsword and wrestle Avelia's baton out of its gut. Use Focused Defender, preparing to defend Bran against Magic attacks by manually guiding him through a dodge-roll- protecting Bran and Avelia with his back if need-be.
Claris
Claris

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:19 am
Pain and roaring flames surround me, the sounds of battle raging, and the cries of desperation meet my ears.

Still, I won't give up. Not now, not ever.

"RAGNUS! Lend me your aid once more! I beseech thee!"

I throw my head back as I shout as loud as I can, attempting to overcome the din of chaos that engulfs us all. I twirl the Twin Streaks to whip up a wind that carries my voice higher, higher, further, farther...!

"I can guide but one at a time, protect only so many - but you! With your vision and power! You can protect us all!"

My throat strains and my voice cracks.

"So lend me a piece of it - your power! Your might! Your wisdom! Show me - how do I save us from this demon!? I'm in over my head here!"

Taking a deep breath, I sing, and as I sing I imbue it with as much protective magic as I can muster.

Severa: Pray to Ragnus and sing, hoping to imbue the song with the weakened power of Guidance, to protect everyone here.

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Sharks
Sharks

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:10 am
Yam's eyes twitched as the demon destroyed the bell peppers, instincts flaring up wildly. So you carry some form of Harvest in you too, then?

Bet mine's stronger.

>Yam: Subvert the Demon of Silence's Harvester of Live ability to make it harvest death instead, causing it to take damage whenever anything dies.
Aeront
Aeront
Admin

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:50 pm
With flames and fire growing, Severa uses her Charged Magic Circuits to create a divine wind, carrying her voice high, higher, higher, her song mixing with the magic melody of her instrument!

Among the swirling clouds of darkness hanging upon the battlefield, a light manages to break through, piercing the shade and surrounding all around in an ethereal glow!

All allies gain Divine Instinct! It's not nearly as effective as Guidance's full force, but will nonetheless reduce the first instance of damage all allies recieve this turn by 20%!

The Demon of Silence suddenly acts, emitting a raging roar! It seems hungry for blood, and sets its sights on Arthur! Once again, its primary, fiery head begins to collasce, an infernal eye appearing and staring directly down at the swordsman as it readies Bone Fire Combustion! The flames raging around the battlefield seem to rise to a fever pitch, as all at once--!

"Concentrate, and get them all out of here!" Giada yells as she rams into Arthur, knocking him aside! Using her Stalwart Shield, Giada redirects Bone Fire Combustion to hit herself instead!

Bracing as best she can, the hellfire rises into a massive column, the heat alone causing burning pain to those standing by! Even with her armor protecting her and Divine Instinct, Giada takes 863 damage!

Her armor remains standing a moment after the fire and smoke clears -- charred and singed, her mechanical attachments turned to molten iron, seeping through the crevices between metal plates. Then, all at once, the metal gives way, her knees buckle, and the engineer collapses, causing a slight tremor as the heavy metal strikes the ground.

Giada is defeated!

Harvester of Life activates, granting the Demon of Silence another +1 Advantage and +10 Power!

A moment later, Arthur surges into action, brandishing his sword! He takes a powerful stance and cleaves right through the head of the Construct of Landon! The creature offers no resistance nor does it attempt to avoid the attack, recieving 219 damage as its head is removed from its body! It hits the ground with a wet thump and rolls a small distance, the creature seeming to not care.

"Arthur... please... I know you hate me, but please listen..." the thing somehow continues to speak, the voice originating from the air around them.

The swordsman then reaches out, grabbing hold of the baton and yanking it free with all his might -- with a concentrated effort, he manages to succeed, pulling the baton from the hunk of flesh!

"You all were awoken from the City of Silence just like the demon... but you can't do anything. The Awakener will kill you all... but at least the others will die in their sleep... the Demon of Silence is just the silenced voices clawing for the castle's eternity... but it doesn't matter. They'll be silenced forever, just like you..."

A word catches, like the voice of Landon is trying to hold back a sob. "Just go home, alright? Take all of them and go home... forget all of this... just go back to sleep... like you did for me..."

Arthur has reclaimed the Baton of Nature's Minuet! He then prepares to defend Bran with Focused Defender (Magic), and to cover Avelia and Bran both! Having switched the Watcher, he gains +1 Advantage, and boosts Bran's EA by 5!

Arthur is exhausted from the effort... (-1 Adv)

Bran pulls from the shadows around him, forming tendrils of darkness striking through the air -- meanwhile, Vince charges forward! Bran unleashes his swarm of tentacles, which find purchase upon the maw of The Demon of Silence! While they're not able to get down into the stomach, they are enough to hold the path wide open, a path which Vince immediately takes! With a burst of flame, he soars into the fleshy darkness...

...Somehow, the inside of the Demon of Silence is worse than the outside. Paradoxically, Vince feels a hard cold trying to bite into him, just warded off by his Thermal Armor. The inside is strangely spacious, a hallway of flesh and sinew laid out before him. At the end of the hallway, trying her best to fight off swarms of grasping fingers, he sees the burning-yet-shivering form of Avelia and moves without delay! Quickly reaching her, he takes tight hold, before tossing his whip onto one of the demon's outer teeth. Giving a small running start, he burns 300 HP to fire off a powerful Sharpnel Blast, turning one of the nearby pieces of bone to splinters as he and Avelia ride the shockwave! The sharpnel tears apart the hands, defying the creature's invincibility, as the pair head for the exit...!

And emerge, none the worse for wear! The Demon whispers in hatred, "SSHHEEE AAAlllmmoossttt kknneewww..."

Upon landing, Vince uses Breath of Fire, and the flames still plaguing the conductor's body are swallowed up, leaving her free of affliction! Avelia has been cured of her Burning!, and Vince regains 100 HP!

Bran acts as well, swinging his staff to generate a defensive barrier to protect he and Avelia! He creates a shimmering barrier with 340 HP, which will absorb the first attack that hits either of the two!

TRAINING MISSION COMPLETE! Bran has gained experience blocking and weakening enemy attacks, especially with magical barriers, allowing him to gain a new Technique! Bran gains Aegis of Magic, a powerful Technique that allows him to construct a shimmering barrier to protect any target, and will never fail to do so! When the barrier is destroyed or dissipated, it grants the target Arcane Armor, reducing all damage they recieve for the remainder of the turn by 25%! It's a great way to protect an important ally, even against a hailstorm of attacks!

Vince and Bran are both exhausted by their efforts... (-1 Advantage)

Yam calls upon the powers of life and death, attempting to change the demon's Harvester of Life Ability!

Immediately upon doing so, every visible head turns to her, dozens of eyes boring back upon her! They whisper, in harsh tongues, "yyyooouuu'llll beeee ssIIILLLEEEENNCCEEDD SSOOoooonnn, hharrvestterrr..."

The attempt fails, her magical prowess not enough to contend with the primordial demon's power!

Erika rushes the monster, riding up and down a scale in rocking fashion! The assault weakens the demon, reducing its power by 4%.

Saul attempts to attack the demon, but is unable to reach it.

The Demon of Silence interrupts once more, making a flurry of slashing strikes at the party with its massive talons!

Emilia and Erika manage to evade the strike, but the rest of the Regiment is not able to! Avelia, badly beaten from her stay within the demon, braces for the impact... but Bran's barrier intercepts the attack! It shatters in the process, but prevents her from taking any damage. Unfortunately, this leaves Bran open... but Arthur steps in the way, intercepting the strike!! He holds his ground, bashing away the massive blade with his own, saving the mage! The barrier around Ormen likewise keeps him safe, several shards even bursting back at the demon! Russel, Severa, Vince and Yam each are struck, but Severa's Divine Instinct softens the blow -- they take 294, 434, 436, and 361 damage, respectively. The Bounding Broccoli, meanwhile, can only emit a quiet whimper as its slashed to pieces!

Harvester of Life activates, granting the Demon of Silence another +1 Advantage and +10 Power!

"Giada! No!" Russel yells, taking a few steps toward his comrade before being caught by Emilia.
"Keep your wits about you, commander. She knew what she was doing: her sacrifice let us to reclaim the baton, and have the demon poised for defeat."
"I know that, but... ergh! I've talked to her about not doing things like that, how if she wants to avoid what happens in that vision--"
"Focus!" She repeats sternly. "Remember our duty." She grabs an arrow, a magical energy thumping around its head. "If we end this quickly, we can get her proper help."
"Yeah... yeah, sorry, I... you're right," he finally settles, nodding back to her. "Let's finish this!"

Emilia goes all out!! The archer unleashes three arrows simultaneously, aiming for every vital point she can see! Each arrow sings with its own true tone, a chorus of pure sound assaulting the demon! Each finds their mark! She then pulls back her last arrow, ebbing with magical power, waiting...

Russel holds Sunstreaker over his head, catching the holy light still hanging around the party! "This sword carries the power and hope of our army! Their drive, passion, and hope, are the source of its light! And I'll show you how powerful that light can be!"

Russel activates Dawn Strike, a glorious light piercing the illusionary clouds, a heavenly choir heralding his assault! He swings his blade at the monster as the music crescendos, a golden arc carved through the air -- and at that exact same moment, Emilia lets loose her magical arrow, both attacks landing simulatenously with a thundrous force!!

The Demon of Silence shrinks back, bruised and damaged by the assault! It recieves two debuffs, one giving it -10% Power, the other being Cursed by Light, reducing the Power of all non-Light magic it performs by 15!

Emilia is exhausted from the effort... (-2 Adv)

The illusionary clouds are almost entirely gone -- Castle High can be seen above! It looks damaged and bruised, but still stable enough.

"As the dreamers wake... and the demon cries for relief..." Ormen mouthes, quickly writing out his song, inspired by the heroism of the Regiment! "The City of Silence may sleep... and their dream may not fade... but the waking and the walking will journey and fall as long as the stars stay in the heavens..." he looks up, "I've almost got it!"

The Adagio of Peace reaches 90% completion!

Ormen creates a wafting breeze of cool sea air to surround Severa, healing her for 151 HP!

Regiment 1-21 manage to decrease the monster's attack by another 3% and heal Bran for 193 HP!

Avelia pulls herself up, "I... I truly thought I would die in that terrible place. The whispers inside, of seeking an escape from the coming nothing..." she shivers, "terrible. Thank you for freeing and protecting me, all of you." The conductor takes her baton from Arthur, turning to the emerged castle. "This... this is enough."

Avelia casts Nature's Minuet on Castle High itself!! The stones and bricks of the mighty castle begin to vibrate and hum, a deep, powerful bass eminating from its towers and stones!

The Symphony of Binding's Power rises to 100%! It will activate at the end of the next turn!

The conductor looks at those around her, determination and sheer grit burning in her eyes.

"One more round of its onslaught. Keep me and this castle standing for just one more round."

Avelia activates Conductor, targetting Severa and Arthur! They each gain +10 Power for the battle's remainder!

Avelia and Ormen are both fatigued... (-1 Adv)

The Demon of Silence seems to understand what's about to happen, and its eyes turn upon the castle in fury! Taking its mashed-together head and pressing it into its burning, central face, it unleashes a stream of molten hellfire on Castle High!! The Castle's growing music is momentarily masked by the bubbling sound of burning slag, taking 1241 damage!

The Demon of Silence then follows up by stabbing into its own central, fiery head with its massive talons: though it screams out in pain, its blades are now coated in its endless hellfire! The Demon of Silence gains the Blades of Hell buff, increasing its Power by 10 and causing all successful melee attacks to inflict Burning Hell!, a debuff that deals 200 damage at the end of every turn, is treated as Burning! for Bone Fire Combustion's requirement, and can stack with Burning!

The Demon of Silence is slightly fatigued... (-1 Adv)

Castle High Forces:

CASTLE HIGH Lv. 15
HP 7914 / 15000

VS

----- / ----- HP

Adagio of Peace Completion: 90%
Symphony of Binding Power: 100%! Activates at end of Turn 5!

TURN 5 - FIGHT!

Next Action Deadline: 1/31/19

Last edited by Aeront on Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
[VIOLET]
[VIOLET]

Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:30 pm
Ngh...:

"...you were a coward, Landon, running away from me like that. But you didn't believe in a man who would lay down and die for your sake..."

>Arthur: Stabilize Giada by removing as much of the hot metal from her person as possible, steadying her breathing, and conveying qi through chest compressions to bolster her life force. Once support for her arrives, prepare to use Focused Defender (Melee) as Warrior on Bran, preparing to take a hit with his sword and counterattack with the Dagger of the Broken Kiss again..!
GM_3826
GM_3826

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:53 pm
As Avelia recovered from the Demon of Silence's stomach and announced that the song was almost ready, Bran immediately got to work on protecting her. If this battle was almost over, than her survival was their top priority, the scholar's aching body be damned. The last thing on his mind was Ormen's song. His thoughts were haphazard, and he wasn't taking as much focus to analyze the situation as he was earlier, but based on what he was hearing, perhaps it was best if it were completed.
Bran: Use Aegis of Magic on Avelia.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum