MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar

Go down
Aquinas
Aquinas

Signup and Character Creation Empty Signup and Character Creation

Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:18 pm
You awaken.

Your body feels heavy, your limbs weightless, as if you have up until this very moment been adrift in a vast and nameless sea.

The first sensation you are aware of is a voice, soft and smooth yet tinged with the merest touch of mischief.

“Ah, a Champion arrives. Welcome to the Velvet Room.”

Your eyes fall until they are locked on a hunched figure sitting at the other end of a round table. The strange speaker looks like an illustration you once saw in a book of children’s fairy tales. Rumplestiltskin, hunched over his wheel, spinning straw into gold. This grinning creature, with his beak-like nose and wild, bulging eyes, bears an uncanny resemblance.

“My name is Igor.”

A haunting voice floats past you, backed by the notes of a delicate piano. Although you have never heard it, every note is as familiar to you as the sound of your own heartbeat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHxVo-WA9nA

“This place exists between dream and reality, mind and matter... It is a room that only those who are bound by a “contract” may enter.”

As Igor lifts a gloved hand into the air, thin figures lazily gesturing to the walls around him, you adjust to your surroundings. A cathedral, or perhaps a grand palace. At one end of the vast chamber is a choir loft, suspended below a rose window whose shapes seem to shift and merge as the light beyond it flickers. The choir loft itself contains no organ, as you might have expected - only a single piano player and a woman at a microphone. Their forms are indistinct, hidden by the light streaming through the stained glass.

The rest of the space is covered in banners and tapestries of rich blue velvet. Countless aisles of pews separate the loft from where you and your bizarre new acquaintance are standing, on a raised platform occupied only by this circular table. Six seats surround it, though only one is filled - a featureless gray chair in which your host is comfortably reclined.

“I must say,” Igor continues, “A contract such as this is most unusual. In all my years, I have never seen the like. Your contract is a shared bond, binding you and your companions together as Champions. The only ones this shattered world may well have left…

“But there will be time for such matters later. For now, why don’t you introduce yourself?

Your name? Yes, of course. How could you forget something like that?

Please enter your Champion’s NAME.

“Ah, delighted to make your acquaintance, my dear.” His too-wide smile has not faltered once. “But ah, where are my manners. Please, please, take a load off your feet and sit down with me!”

You observe the unoccupied seats. The first is made of rich mahogany wood, with fierce red accents hewn into the back in the shape of a royal scepter. The second is carved from smooth polished ivory, inlaid with brilliant blue river stones in its back in the shape of an overflowing chalice. The third is a technical marvel, constructed entirely of glass and intricately carved in the back with the pattern of a green-stained sword. The fourth chair is quite a contrast from the others, being roughly hewn from hard stone, but is just as beautiful thanks to the golden flowers springing up from every crack in its surface, tracing out the pattern of a five-pointed pentacle on its back. The fifth chair sits across from Igor, and is larger and grander than the others - the seat of a king.

You do not know why, but you find yourself drawn to one chair in particular…

Please enter your Champion’s ARCANA. If you are playing as a Main Character, you may select from the Knight of Wands, the Knight of Cups, the Knight of Swords, or the Knight of Pentacles. Please see the note on Minor Arcana for more information.

“Good, good,” Igor murmurs with satisfaction as you take your place at the table. “Now, please allow me to speak candidly. A great evil holds your world in the palm of its hand, and threatens to envelop you entirely. Whether you realize it or not, your destiny lies in confronting this catastrophe. For is this not the very reason that you became a Champion?”

A Champion?

You’re not sure what he means by that. You don’t recall choosing any of this. Overwhelmed, you stare down at the table in front of you, and see your bewildered expression reflected in its polished surface.

Please describe your Champion’s APPEARANCE.

“Oh, you needn’t fear,” Igor reassures you. “As I said before, your fate is inextricably linked to your companions. The strength of four with the same destiny… mhmhm, now that is something to give one courage. And besides, you will have our support as well. Mine, my master’s, and… goodness, I suppose I had forgotten to introduce my assistants.”

You are shocked to realize that Igor is flanked by two figures. Had they always been there? At first glance you are convinced that they must be identical twins, their silver hair, golden eyes, and ethereal faces a perfect match. But closer examination reveals subtle details - the left one’s slightly less prominent jaw; the near-imperceptible Adam’s apple of the one on the right; and you settle on the shaky hypothesis that they are a man and a woman, respectively, though you are still left unsure.

The attendant on the right steps forward serenely as you take note of his archaic appearance. He resembles a medieval scholar, with a cerulean hooded robe and a cincture of golden thread. His wavy silver hair streams down his neck and into his hood, hiding his left eye. In one hand he clutches a quill; in the other, a heavy tome. “Please, call me Robert. It is my privilege to chronicle your journey. As you delve into the recesses of your soul, grant me the honor of inscribing your exploration for posterity. If you would be so kind, please enlighten me as to your origins, as well as your chosen field of study.”

Please describe your Champion’s BACKGROUND and FIELD OF TEACHING. Be sure to include their age and date of birth, how long they've been teaching, and what led them to Barton High.

“And I’m Victoria!” The woman on the left bounds forward energetically, her energy in marked contrast to her doppelganger. She wears similar robes, but these are open at the front to reveal an old-fashioned waistcoat and slacks of the same color. A long-beaked mask with built-in goggles is perched atop her head, her own wavy hair shoved into a chaotic bun. “I’m here to help yer Personas grow up big and strong! You can come to me whenever you need a little tinkerin’ done. But for now, I’ve gotta know - what makes you tick?”

Please describe your Champion’s WORLDVIEW.

Your nose wrinkles in confusion. Personas? Igor notices your expression.

“Ah, there is still so much you do not know. But I’m afraid our time is drawing to a close. Worry not - we will surely meet again…”

You feel sleep wrap around you again, as you return to the embrace of the sea of souls…

Welcome to Persona:

Minor Arcana:

A brief note on Personas:

Available slots:

Last edited by Aquinas on Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:11 pm; edited 5 times in total
GM_3826
GM_3826

Signup and Character Creation Empty Re: Signup and Character Creation

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:21 pm
Username: GM_3826
Name: Naomi Shimizu
Arcana: Knight of Pentacles
Appearance: Naomi has short marine blue hair with a bang covering her right eye. She has a vacant look in her left eye, and it matches the color of her hair. As she takes a closer look at herself, she brushes the bang off to the side. She is tall for a woman and slim, standing at 5'3 and weighing just under 110 pounds. She is dressed casually in a light jacket and pants, as if this is just another day of her life.
Background: Naomi was born on January 28th and is 25 years old. She is the daughter of the head of the Shimizu Company, an automobile company that has recently moved its headquarters from Japan to the United States. She was diagnosed with high-functioning autism as a child, so her younger brother was to inherit the company. As a consequence, Naomi lived a very sheltered life. She was homeschooled and took up drawing as a hobby. As she grew older she came to desire independence more and more, a desire that ultimately led to her break away from her family to enter college and study to become an art teacher. She has taught the subject at Barton High for 2 years.
Field of Teaching: Art
Worldview: On the surface, Naomi seems to live with her head in the clouds, a tendency she bas been scolded for on more than one occasion. In reality, she desires to reach a point where her habits no longer need to be corrected. She became a teacher because she wanted to break away from a typical command structure, but she knows that she must work hard at her job. That said, she frequently shows up almost 15 minutes late, can ramble on for a minute or two before getting back to the subject at hand, and often addresses her students by the wrong name when a paper with it written on it is folded up on their desk. All of this leads to Naomi being seen as a bit eccentric, something she is self-conscious of. It doesn't help she doesn't always know why others see her as strange.

Last edited by GM_3826 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
[VIOLET]
[VIOLET]

Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:55 pm
Username: Impromptu
Name: Jean-Paul Arreguin Castillo
Arcana: Knight of Swords
Appearance: Castillo is only just beginning the middle years of his life at the age of 43, but his persistent scowl and furrowed brow make him appear almost ten years older to some. A man of Filipino descent, he has tan skin and thick, dark brown hair--very near to black except under warm sunlight, where its lighter brown hue is brought out--that plays about his head in dense curls. He is also short in stature among American men, standing just slightly taller than 5'5"; and while light as well at 155 pounds, he isn't skinny, with a slight gut showing through his more form-fitting clothes. Thick glasses with rectangular black frames sit on the bridge of his small nose, behind them intelligent blue-gray eyes.

His lack of enthusiasm for his station in life is made apparent by his day-to-day appearance: he at least dresses well, never wearing anything other than button-up shirts and khakis or gray dress pants; but his hair otherwise is usually some level of unkempt (with a few gray hairs springing up) and a thin layer of stubble can often be found clinging to his jaw. An old injury and a lack of exercise in the years afterwards weakened the joints of his left leg, leaving him with a slight limp. On days where he is especially fatigued, he walks with a metal cane.

He delivers his lectures with the energy of a dying lightbulb, but on rare occasions, he can look surprisingly sharp: poised at a ready stance, voice strong and encouraging... these moments reveal shadows of the devoted former Boatswain sleeping within.

Background:

Field of Teaching: Mathematics (Algebra and Statistics)

Worldview: In short, cynical, bitter, and tired. No matter where he goes, Castillo can always find something to complain about and someone to blame for it, and he isn't afraid to mutter loudly about it within earshot. He blames the school board for the breakneck pace he feels he has to take through textbook chapters, maintains a sink-or-swim policy in his class, and regards his peers' criticism of him bitterly. Even still, he never stops or chastises anyone for speaking their mind--be they teacher, parent, or student. "If you don't like how I manage my class, why don't you file a complaint with the front office?" is his go-to response, and following any given incident he stubbornly refuses to change his ways. The threat of losing his job doesn't seem to discourage him at all: if anything, his behavior suggests he's trying to provoke his superiors into making it happen.

In spite of all his grumbling, Castillo doesn't truly hate or think his students incapable or unintelligent: when grading papers in his office, crossing columns of consecutive wrong answers on the quizzes of students he knows are fighting to understand is enough to drive him to tears. He still firmly believes that everyone, even children, has a unique path they can take to their goals--but he has seemingly absolved himself of all responsibility for illuminating that path. Perhaps recent events have lit a fire under him...

As the eldest son of immigrants who grew up poor, Castillo is particularly embittered towards class division and the concept of being born into success. He believes respect is earned through action, not bought, and that those who struggle against the same adversary should stick together... but whether his actions reflect this is up for debate. Legends say he's a different man outside of work.

(Disclaimer: In complete clarity of mind, Castillo would never willingly admit to any of this in real life.)

Last edited by [VIOLET] on Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:27 am; edited 9 times in total
Sharks
Sharks

Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:14 pm
Betty Bright:

Last edited by Sharks on Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sock
Sock

Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:14 am
Username: Sock

Name: John Redding

Arcana: Knight of Wands

Appearance: A large and heavyset man, more than six feet tall and weighs about 200 pounds. He’s got powerful legs, and thighs that might be likened to tree trunks, strengthened from the weight in his gut, although the rest of his body is weak by most standards. John carries himself poorly, almost always either slouching or stretching out his aching back. Perpetually long-haired, he typically forgets about the barber until his dark brown hair is poking him in the eyes. Keeps his face mostly hidden with a full beard that fades to almost orange at the tips, although the dull light of his deep green eyes still shines through it. A pasty white American dude of vaguely German heritage, with a real bad case of farmer’s tan in the summer. Dresses sloppily, typically wears an unbuttoned shirt over t-shirt, and almost always a pair of jeans and old beat-up sneakers. Almost looks like he wandered in from the college campus.

Background: Born on the 4th of November, and 26 years old. John feels very guilty about where he is in life, his parents are an older couple, and quite well-off. He’s never had to work hard; slid through high school but didn’t really have any friends to speak of. Ran into academic trouble in university, failed his classes second semester. He also started to learn more about the politics of the youth and has started to hang out of the periphery of leftist online spaces (translation: he likes watching breadtube videos). Was careful not to mention any of this to mom and dad, since they kept covering tuition. Eventually managed to push through engineering undergrad, though it took six years.

He ended up forgetting about things like job hunting until after graduation, and had to scurry for the first job he could, since he deeply did not want to go home again. Ended up becoming a sub at high school that was relatively near to campus, although the position wound up being permanent. He’s been teaching for almost a year now, and has fallen into the general-purpose science teacher role

At school, John tries his hardest to be the “cool fun teacher” and stays up on the memes. Keeps how bad they are these days to himself, or only shares with a couple of friends. Doesn’t actually care for the kids that much, and has a hard time not groaning when he needs to explain something for the third time. He’s pretty sure it’s not his fault, always tries to rephrase things. Holds office hours mostly out of a sense of obligation, but most days nobody shows up. Tends to use the time to work on grading, and sometimes takes advantage of the nap chance. Wishes the kids would be more responsible, like he wasn’t.

Field of Teaching: Science

Worldview: John tries to be nice to other people. But he hates himself for how easy his life is when there’s so much suffering in the world, and how its really not possible for just one person to make a difference. He’s always heard that everyone’s special, and that you just had to believe in yourself to succeed. But he can see that’s not how the world really is, and he doesn’t know how to fight it. Without the energy or passion for activism, he just tries to “be”, without harming others
Mirkwood
Mirkwood

Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:19 pm
Username: Mirkwood

Name: Joshua MacLeod

Arcana: Knight of Wands

Appearance: Joshua is a larger man, slightly taller than average, at just below 6 feet tall, although he rounds up when anyone asks. He is broad-shouldered, and heavy-set, weighing in at about 190 lbs. He looks somewhat reminiscent of a football coach, a little overweight, but still with some amount of muscle visible in his arms and legs. He has thin strawberry blonde hair, and has a slight bald spot near the top of his head that he tries to comb over to cover up. Due to this, his hair is usually combed with a part on the right side of his head, which looks neat, if a little pitiful due to the lack of volume. His usual clothes at school consists of a button-up shirt put over a slightly v-necked t-shirt, usually white, but also includes light blue, orange, and red shirts, on occasion, but they never have a design on them. The button up shirts that he wears have a variety of patterns and colors, with the quintessential ‘Hawaiian shirt’ being the most common pattern, although other shirts depict small foxes, flamingos, autumn leaves, and even a pattern of geometric shapes. There are also more simple plaid or paisley designs among his wardrobe. For pants, he typically wears khakis with a belt. The pants are usually in darker colors, gray or dark blue or green, although the standard beige is also seen. On Fridays, he wears jeans, following a personal ‘Casual Friday’ despite there not being any such thing according to school administration.

Outside of school days, Joshua wears jeans, along with a graphic tee, sporting references to various video games, such that you might see at a convention, or at hot topic, not that he would actually be seen there. He orders such clothes online. He is liable to switch out the jeans for sweatpants if he isn’t planning on going anywhere for the day, which typically occurs on Sunday.

Background: Joshua grew up in Ohio, in Oakwood, a suburb of Dayton, born on August 9th, and is currently 27 years old. He grew up as an only child, but was close to his cousins, who he saw often while visiting nearby grandparents. He was pretty active as a young kid, participating in soccer and basketball teams for a few years each, but by the time he was in junior high, he was no longer particularly interested in sports like football, although his father would have loved him to go into it, and often said that he would have been great at it. Instead, his time was often occupied by playing the latest video games, particularly first person shooters, and JRPGs. He did do well in school, as it was fairly easy for him, being a pretty smart kid. He enjoyed his science classes the most, but also took an interest in English, and enjoyed reading and doing a little bit of creative writing. He had a decent group of friends, but was never particularly popular, and was sometimes bullied due to being overweight, but he didn’t react much to it, and as such, was not a frequent target. In his junior and senior years of high school, he got into weightlifting, getting fit, and building up a pretty solid amount of muscle.

After graduating from high school, he ended up at an in-state university, The Ohio University. He originally aimed to become a doctor, and went for a premedical degree, but had some difficulties in the more intense classes, and as such, changed his degree to biology after a few years of underperforming, compared to high school. Partially responsible for this was the intensity with which he became engaged with new MMOs, which he played with a group of students in the dorm that he lived in. He spent many hours grinding out levels and drops until he was on par with his new friends enough to join them in performing raids on difficult bosses. He played as a tank, attacking the boss to draw aggro, dealing respectable enough damage as well. It was a fairly intensive role, and as he improved he became more involved with the group’s planning of raids. This, along with the job he had working at a local pizza joint, gave him little time to worry about his studies. His natural aptitude for school benefited him well enough to have him pass his classes despite his exhausting schedule, but the passing was narrow. For the last few years of college, he was very much of the attitude of “Cs get degrees”, and so it was for him.

After graduating college, Joshua moved out of the dorms, and gradually lost touch with his MMO buddies. He took various jobs around Ohio, but he was often dissatisfied, as there were few jobs that were available that related to his degree and held his motivation for much more than a year. After quitting a job involving quality assurance of pool testing equipment, he went to a family reunion, where he heard from his cousin, Kyle Watts, that there was a high school looking for a science teacher back in Twin Falls, Connecticut, where he had recently been planning to move into for a new job as a county electrician. Without much else turning up in his job search, Joshua agreed to apply for the job, and after an interview, he was accepted to the job. He ended up renting a house with his cousin Kyle, and Kyle’s younger brother, Carter. Carter just graduated from high school when the three of them moved in, and after a few years of trade school, is now working under his brother as an electrician. It is now Joshua’s third year of teaching at Barton, and he has gotten used to the workflow of preparing lessons and grading papers, with some time to game on the side, although his most frequented games are mobile games, these days. He does use his PC a little more on the weekends. He originally came to the job as a teacher with a goal of starting to write a novel, but it’s rare that any work goes into that, with only a handful of pages of notes and ideas, along with a rough introduction chapter finished over the last few years.

Field of Teaching: Science (Biology and Physics)

Worldview: Joshua tries his best to care about the kids, and being fairly new, he has put in the effort to get to know just a little about each student and at least appear to vaguely be there for them. He likes to believe that even if he isn’t exactly saving lives as a doctor, he at least is making a difference in the lives of the students he teaches. He does his best to keep the students engaged with the topics at hand, but he isn’t particularly fascinated by the general curriculum, and would rather discuss and learn more about new discoveries, but he does his best to keep with the basics needed for the class. In general, he is disappointed by the suffering and unfairness in the world but has accepted that he can’t really do much about it, and there isn’t a single source of the suffering people experience that can be defeated. He might wistfully wish it was so, and perhaps even imagine himself as some sort of hero.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum