Calendar

Go down
Aeront
Aeront
Admin
https://terrafirma.forumotion.com

Intermission: The Town of Vernia Empty Intermission: The Town of Vernia

Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:30 pm
"Aaaaaalright, here we are kids," Scarlett calls, pulling the rental bus to a halt. You feel thankful she managed to drive here without incident, given how exhausted she looks.

Once outside, you drink in the beautiful view of the town: it's situated right up against the mountains, all its roads and paths at inclines. You see people going about their morning business, heading to work and out at small cafes eating breakfast. Grass and trees dot the areas between buildings, lush evergreen in the fairly cold climate of the city.

"Your pamphlets should tell you about some of the suggested locations around here. The hotel we wrote down has rooms ready for you guys if you'd rather stay here for the week than take the bus back to the castle." She hops out with a sniffle, a member of the Logistics Division stepping up to take the bus back for the next round of troops. "Buses heading back start at 8 pm and stop at 9, so don't be late. Most of the commanders will be at the castle this week, I'll be poking around for info here." She gives a sloppy salute, "good work n' all that nice shit," before sauntering off.

Activities in Vernia:
Shopping in Vernia:

Deadline for Activity and Item Choices: 7/ 20/19
SugarJan
SugarJan

Intermission: The Town of Vernia Empty Re: Intermission: The Town of Vernia

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:42 pm
Erika stepped off the bus, looking noticeably happier to be in this town than staying in the castle. A quick glance at the pamphlet showed her exactly what she was looking for and she closed it quickly. She grinned, placing her guitar on her back and looking around the group. "I think I'll be getting a good seat at the bar before it gets too crowded. I'm open to anyone coming with if they want," a pause and a smirk, "but, uh... you're buying!" She laughed, a sound that seemed like it was trying too hard to be a cackle, hiding a higher pitched giggle underneath. "Hah, we all got paid, y'all know I'm kidding." She started walking down toward the hotel, idly musing out loud. "Wonder if they'd let me play..."
Claris
Claris

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:09 pm
Unnecessary Prose:

=================

As Severa exits the bus, she stares ahead, eyes blank as her thoughts race and her memories hound her. Moving forward slowly, step by measured step, it's clear something is bothering her, but she says nothing.

As she crosses a walkway, her cotton-candy blue hair seems to deflate a little, then grays, losing color. Lines form around her eyes, as if her tired soul was manifesting physically on her body.

How long had she been alive, again? Even she didn't know. Green eyes like the bottoms of bottles echoed the empty alleyway she was passing through, almost lifeless in their shade. Her robes, usually a ferocious shade of forest green and sharpest black, seemed to bleed together as mottled vines, pattering along her form.

Sitting now, resting against a wall, she sighed without knowing, and looked to the skies far above. Flickers of life came back to her, and the changes slowly began to recede - wrinkles tightened and tautened, eyes began to brighten, and robes took solid form once more. The proud Tabard she was wearing, though faded, seemed full of pride once again.

She was a long way from home.
GM_3826
GM_3826

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:39 pm
Bran smiles. "That's great, Erika! Personally, though, I'm not a drinker. My idea of kicking back is some quiet time by myself, not a glass of wine and some small talk." He says. He seems to stop after seeing Severa, frowning a bit, but then he sighs and turns away. She probably doesn't want to be bothered.

"I'm going to stop by the library. I know, seems like more work, but I'm a scholar. That's what's fun for me." That said, he walked off in a different direction from Erika, towards the library. Maybe he'd stop and talk to someone there, but either way he was more interested in the books there than the conversation. It was a quiet place, after all.
Aeront
Aeront
Admin

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:57 pm

As anyone entered the hotel, they would be greeted by a pleasant, glowing atmosphere. Travelers from all over stayed in the hotel and were now milling about, engaging in pleasant conversation with several other members of the castle's forces. The bar was just opened, the club is getting set up, the restaurant is open for business... and curiously, Rosemary, the castle's head medic, is busying about, asking a large number of people some question, an anxious look on her face.

The smell of the library was one of printer ink and binding glue, as gentle light filtered in from a number of windows. There weren't too many people in at the moment, though librarians were moving about, organizing new arrivals and filing away returns. Hunched over at one of the tables is Scarlett, head of recon, wearing more casual wear than she's usually seen in. She yawns as she pours through what seem to be seven or eight different books and journals, her eyes quickly scanning through the material written within, searching.
GM_3826
GM_3826

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:56 am
Curious, Bran walks up to Scarlett. "Sorry to bother you. It's Bran. I didn't expect to see you here." Bran says. "If you don't want to talk, that's fine. I'll leave you alone. But I didn't know you were a reader. Is what you're reading for work, or is there a reason that you're in more casual wear?" He smiles.
OOC:
Aeront
Aeront
Admin

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:49 pm
Scarlett looks up with a scowl, expecting to tell off some nosy local -- then her expression softens, seeing the mage. "Oh, hey Bran." Instead of her usual tight, sleeveless leather uniform, she's wearing a simple pair of brown trousers and a red wool sweater. The sleeves of the sweater are slightly long, causing her hands to hide away inside them whenever she isn't flipping book pages. Scarlett rubs one of her eyes as she looks back over the mess she's made, "Ugh, I wish this wasn't for work. The first library we've stopped at in the entire time I've been in this castle, and I'm still stuck doing research." She sighs, leaning her head on her hand, "I'd kill to just grab a half-dozen murder mystery books and read in 'til my stomach hurts, just leave all this shit behind for a couple hours. But a girl's work is never done, it seems: gotta take advantage of having all this info in the same place while I can. It's great. Now I get to spend all day reading hastily written witness testimonies and guard reports written by illiterates."

She closes up the book on her lap, leaning back and looking up. "The worst part is, the more I learn about this Flying Bullshit Fortress, the less I know what the hell's going on. The oldest reports I can conclusively attach to it only go back a little while, which would imply it just got active recently. Which makes no fucking sense. That thing must be using magic similar to Castle High's, but the magic our castle uses is A., one-of-a-kind, and B., dates back to the splitting of Castle High and Castle Low, which... must have happened a long ass time ago. I've got some leads on locations it might have a connection to, but they're all ancient as hell -- what, did some stupid kids wander into some ruins and flick a switch or something?" Her voice begins to raise, "Why now, and not before? And how have I never heard about this Fortress until right now, despite having agents--"

A passing librarian gives Scarlett a silent, meaningful look, and she shrinks back, obvious embarrassment as she whispers, "right, sorry, sorry," dropping her volume several levels. She looks down at her lap, sighing again, before suddenly looking back up at Bran, "Oh, sorry, didn't mean to talk your ear off or anything. Guess it just gets kinda pent up. Gotta look tough and collected when I'm back at the castle, y'know? If people saw me upset or frustrated about this stuff, they might think I don't know what I'm doing or something." She smiles at him in kind -- it's surprisingly genuine and positive, considering how rarely you've ever seen one from her. "I'm sure you came here to get away from work, not hear me ramble about it, right? Made a good choice coming here, this place just oozes peace and quiet." She re-opens the notebook on her lap, "I don't mind you being here or anything, if you'd like to sit here too," she motions with her head toward a seat nearby. "Heh, Russel always tells me I should be more hospitable."
GM_3826
GM_3826

Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:22 pm
When Scarlett begins speaking, Bran is clearly a little startled by her tone of voice, but not uninterested. Once she quiets down, he lets off a slight chuckle. "Figures. Not many people are too happy about having to work off the clock. If it helps, I've got the feeling that I haven't been able to do enough research as of late. I'd love to take over for you, if that's possible. That way you can focus on other things." He finds a seat nearby and sits down. "Either way, I'd love to help. Crazy, I know."

Maybe we should switch jobs... Bran thinks to himself as he smiles. It's a slightly awkward smile, but a genuine one. It's nice to see her kicking back a little.

"I'll definitely keep quiet about this. I get that others want Scarlett the Invincible, and honestly, I can see why. So much rests on your shoulders..." He sighs. "It must be hard. I suppose that's part of why I'm offering help. A little selfish of me, but still."

I hope that she's not so stubborn that she'll refuse.
Claris
Claris

Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:50 pm
Standing slowly, Severa began walking again. With her eyes now clear, she wandered the streets, eyeing flyers and storefronts as she passed. Suddenly, an emblazoned plaque caught her eye - "The Moderne Witche's Shoppe". Maybe it was the overuse of the letter "e", but it drew her attention - and her winding path - first to its doorway, and then through it.

The first thing you'd notice was the noise. On the busy street there's no way you'd hear it, but inside what looked like hundreds of potions bubbled and hissed in colorful bottles along the walls. An enchanted broom was sweeping away in one of the corners, kicking up a cloud of dust, and right next to it...An unattended counter, with a small silver bell set on it. Walking nervously, slowly, Severa reached to tap the bell, only to have it ring before her hand made contact, causing her to jump.

"Er, sorry, sorry - hello, sorry...um...is anyone here? I was, just wondering...do you sell robes?"

She felt silly talking to thin air, but something about the place really compelled her.

"A-and, perhaps...might you have any magic conduits for sale? I'm looking to repair something..."

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Aeront
Aeront
Admin

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:04 pm
Response to Severa:

>Location: Library
Scarlett's eyes widen as she hears Bran's response. "You serious about that? You'd be willing to take over for me?" She takes a moment to look over her shoulder, checking that there aren't any other commanders around, before turning back to him. "That would be amazing of you. If I asked anyone in recon to do it, word would spread about me slacking on the job, but since you're in Combat... shit, this could work!" A joyful smile spreads across her face as the realization hits her. "I could actually read something fun, hell yes! Thanks a lot, Bran. And yeah, the work... I try not to let anyone notice, but it really wears on me sometimes. I mean, I didn't sign up for this job myself. Gotta be honest, once or twice, I think I might've just... left, if it wasn't for Russel. No way I could leave him behind to deal with all this. So... I do what I gotta do, y'know?"

She looks back at the mage with a slightly more serious look, "alright, if you're doing the researching, it's gotta be good quality, alright?" She takes a piece of paper off the table in front of her, pointing to various names and circled words as she speaks, "these are the names of civilizations that have records of magical feats that could mean they could approach Castle High's magical complexity. This part here is a translation guide -- depending on what region you're reading a book from, they all have different names. If you find the name of a location, make sure to cross-check it with at least one other source before trying to find its position on a modern map. Even if some information is inconsistent, keep track of it, there's usually some truth in rumors and myths. And if--" she yawns once more, putting a hand over her mouth, before continuing "--if you have any questions or need any help, just give me a tap."

She reaches under her chair, revealing she'd already found a novel that interested her. Her eyes scan its cover with glee, but she manages to pull them away to look at Bran, searching his eyes for clear understanding. "All that make sense?"

---------------------------------------------

>Location: Hotel

Rosemary immediately approaches Vince as he gets close. She's wearing her usual coat and dress, though her scarf is wound around of her hands, where she appears to be nervously fiddling with it. "Oh, Vince, hello. Actually, you might be able to help me. I need to ask you an important question." She seems to hesitate a moment, as if weighing how best to speak. "Um... well... you've been here at Castle High for a while now. You've gotten to see some different places, areas we've traveled to..."

"...Vince, do you remember anything at all about how you ended up in Castle High? I know I asked you when you first came, but... has anything jogged your memory? Are you sure you never heard of the castle before you came here?"

GM_3826
GM_3826

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:34 pm
Bran smiles as Scarlett accepts his proposal. As she finishes giving him instructions, he nods. "Of course it makes sense. This is my job. I'm well aware that there's often truth to myths and fairy tales. As time erodes away our memory, they're often our only source when it comes to history. Not only that, but they often had roots in the politics of the era. That's part of why they tend to be inaccurate. The perceptions of the people who told those stories colored our recollections." Bran explains. "As a result, I do this sort of cross-checking on a regular basis. It's necessary to check multiple sources so that you have a bigger picture of what happened." Once he's done talking, he chuckles. "Oh, but I'm rambling. Thank you for the lead. Let me try and see what places I can find with magic as complex as Castle High's." As Scarlett picks up a novel, he reaches out his hand for one of the books Scarlett was reading.

"I'm not sure I'll need any help, but if I do, I'll be sure to tap you on the shoulder, just as you asked."
Claris
Claris

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:18 am
"Have to keep the landlords at bay, after all!"

Said with a jingling laugh, something about this woman resonated with Severa. However, as her gaze fell upon the Crystal Conduit, her eyes widened and she gasped.

"Dear Ragnus...Crystal Conduit, indeed - that's a Photon Refractor if ever I've seen one! I won't pay less than 6000 for it, fair shopkeep - six thousand, and not a coin below!"

Drawing her purse of coins from her waist, Severa quickly poured out roughly half her earnings on to the counter next to the silver bell.

"And those robes - I've never heard of such power...I believe another 1500 is in order for those alone, if you'd kindly accept!"

Pouring another generous helping of coinage on to the counter, Severa felt an oddness in her chest. Was she being enchanted? Aim low, score high? But no - she was a Cleric now. She had no use of money. With that in mind...

"My lady...in all truthfulness, I am a woman of the cloth."

She turned to face the shopkeep.

"Money has no use to me outside of these rare moments. My coins count twelve thousand in number - and I daresay you need these riches more than I. Landlords are, in my opinion, a blight upon society - and I would see such a wonderful shop as this kept safe for as long as I could."

Gently scraping her coins back in to her purse, Severa extended her arm, holding out the bulging leather to the other woman.

"If 1000 is all you desire, I will agree to your terms - but I believe someone who willingly offers rarities such as these deserves so much more."
GM_3826
GM_3826

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:08 pm
[VIOLET]

Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:04 am
Meanwhile...:

Finally, he ducked into a building emanating the familiar smoke of a working flame- a humble smith's shop. He'd passed it a few times while searching for his essentials, but now that he had finished with over ten thousand gold remaining, he had a better idea of the amount he could afford to spend.

"Hoy there," he called out, if anyone was there, already drifting towards a display of well-crafted swords on the back wall.

Artfully made, though a little too far on the heavy side for his taste... just slightly. He could manage... Even if he was going to be a little weaker in general with that... what was it? Pulliminary Fiberose-- the... the, lung problem. Whatever.

As he leaned in to look closer at the details on one of their lighter swords, the edge of his lips ticked up into a subtle smile; there was that metal staining technique his apprentice had picked up from that wandering merchant. A pretty teal, like water, flowing down its flat... and he had to appreciate the more humble approach to the detailing on its crossguard: a simple but elegant depiction of a glowing moon.

Arthur himself never had the eye nor the sentiment to make art like that, but some part of him always admired it... someone who could consider any part of a sword as more than just a tool for killing. In his mind, decoration was only a distraction from the most important parts... and he'd long ago cleared out such things to achieve his style. Simple, straightforward. Precise in its ambitions.

Was it narrow-minded? Perhaps... maybe even ignorant. But a sword ultimately only needs to do one thing, anyway.

Shopping List:

Last edited by Impromptu on Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aeront
Aeront
Admin

Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:12 pm
Response to Vince:

Response to Severa:

Response to Bran:

Response to Arthur:
[VIOLET]
[VIOLET]

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:25 pm
>Location: Vernia Smithy

Arthur regarded Lamil with a polite nod as he entered, stepping aside to let him talk about the various blades on display. He did his best to repress the smirk about to crop up on the edge of his features as the young man wove some sort of tale about the lighter blade he'd been examining... a touch too enthusiastic- and very clearly new to the forge; what in the world was he wearing?- but he knew that bright energy well.

As Veela arrived, though, he lifted his head, examining her thoroughly in turn. Was she covered in soot? Only one arm? A strong one, though... hm. He had to wonder what sort of accomodations that old woman would have to make to work in the shop... if she did at all- which, it seemed so. Instinctively, he straightened his back a little.

"Ah... I was just looking." He waved a hand in front of the Comet's Tail, "I admire this sort of... mm, modest-- graceful craftsmanship. Not my style, but I knew a very talented young man with an eye for making display pieces like these where I used to live... ahah. Fiaba, little town at the bottom of the mountain a couple days south of here... maybe you've heard of him."

For a moment, the swordsman's gaze drifted towards the window- a shadow of... something, momentarily dimming his energy. He continued quickly, crossing his arms.

"-but I am a mercenary, yes. Just looking for a sturdier weapon while I'm here. Steel broadsword, about eighty one centimetres on the blade. Preferrably somewhere between one and a half and two kilograms... No need for anything fancy." He flashed a quick smile, the fingers of his left hand drumming restlessly on his arm. "You got anything for me?"

SugarJan
SugarJan

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:46 pm
((Blugh sorry if we care to RP this later I'm thinking Erika found her way into a magical music shop))

I'd like a guitar form that's a little sturdier/stronger than the blank one (like +1 power or something?) that she could "copy the shape of", sticking with the 'I can create instruments' thing.

And then maybe something to enhance her lightning abilities

And maybe a training thing to aim more toward rock goddess buffing stuff.
meta

Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:55 am
Buff: Sharpened Mind

Armor: A humble, minimalist set of armor designed to provide protection without sacrificing mobility.

Crafting Material: A small emblem with a connection to the Knights of Aethon Sol

[later(tm)]
[VIOLET]
[VIOLET]

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:04 pm
A restless week:
Aeront
Aeront
Admin

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:47 pm
>Location: Hotel

Rosemary seemed unable to help but smile at Vince's exuberant clap and smile. "A lake? I guess it's been a while since I've visited one... but I really should--"

She cut herself off with a sigh, putting a hand to her head before looking back up at Vince. "Well... I suppose giving myself some time to relax will mean I'll do better when I go back to work. Or something." She began walking toward the door, as if trying to move before she'd change her mind. "Alright, yes-- oh, um, but only if you actually want to go. No need to go just for me or anything! But if it's something you think will be fun, well..." she motioned for the door with a slightly more relaxed smile, "lead the way."

Aeront
Aeront
Admin

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:36 am
Response to Arthur:

Response to Vince:
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum: