Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:36 pm
This Week

Tell me about:

• A science project/investigation you conducted by yourself
  • A machine or craft you put together
  • An interesting person you met / the impression they left on you
  • A hidden place you found
  • A time you went exploring
  • What it's like to be a Boy/Girl Scout?

Introduction:

Last edited by Impromptu on Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aeront
Aeront
Admin
https://terrafirma.forumotion.com

Tell Me a Story Empty Re: Tell Me a Story

Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:08 am
So growing up, my family would go to church every Sunday. Actual church was fine enough, but my least favorite part of the experience was after church -- my family would stand around afterward and talk to the other church families for a long, long time (at least, it felt like a long time as a kid). When I was younger, I could amuse myself by playing in the little drainage pond next to the church (which was completely dry when it hadn't rained). It had these cool banks that the water made when it filled the pond, and the drain that lead to the sewer was this long, mysterious tube that stuck out suddenly from the earth. I would make up stories about evil things crawling out there and of people who lived in the dandelions and little flowers who would need to team up to fight it, hopping across the grass to help each other.

When I got older (though before I had a cellphone to amuse myself with), though, I started to really struggle with noise. It's an issue I still have, the sound of people chattering about seemingly-unimportant things really gets to me. I tell people it gives me headaches, but it's really more like this stinging feeling in my ears that gets worse and worse. One particularly noisy day, when it got to be too much, I decided to head to the area on the other side of the parking lot from the church, away from the noisy people. And when I did, I found this big, old tree just past the end of the parking lot. And from this far away, the noise of the crowd was nothing compared to the sound of the wind blowing through the tree, stirring leaves and branches, moving the bushes nearby, and that tranquil stop when the wind died down. It was so peaceful, such a respite from that noisy place I escaped.

And so, that's where I went, for a long time. My parents knew that's where I went after church and came to get me once they were ready to go. I would go sit under the tree, or walk around it, listening to the sounds and feeling the wind, inspecting some cool looking plant growing nearby, or a really big root... yeah. I eventually stopped for one reason or another, but I still remember that place, that little spot under the tree, on the edge of the parking lot, where it seemed like nature thrived it darnedest in such a small space, just for me.
[VIOLET]
[VIOLET]

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:21 pm
This Week

Tell me about:

• An experience you had with siblings in your childhood
  • The first/a memorable time you rode public transportation while not going to school (train, airplane, public bus)
  • The moment you discovered your favorite musician / genre of music
  • A time you/someone close to you moved away
  • What it's like to take a martial/performing arts class (karate, ballet, piano lessons)
  • A time you went to a place where nobody spoke your native language

From Previous Weeks:
Starlight

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:25 pm
I was a Girl Scout for 13 years and my mom was the leader of my troop so I was really involved. When I was in GS, there were badges that you did several things for and then earned a patch for your vest. We did all of the crafting badges, all of the theater badges, all of the storytelling badges, all of the nature badges. A lot of times we did skits as part of the meetings, because we all loved doing them. That’s wild to think about, as now I definitely would panic at the thought of having to do that, but as a kid it was great.

There were a number of traditions. For one, you cannot have a Girl Scout meeting without food. One time, my sister’s troop forgot to bring food, so my mom gave $20 to a parent and begged them to go get some before everyone rioted. Costumes are also super important. This was started by a troop a couple years above me, carried on by my sister’s troop, and then passed onto me. Whenever leading an event or really just doing any sort of event, costumes were strongly encouraged. There was one year when my troop all wore capes during a camping trip.

I despised cookie selling. It was talking to a bunch of adult strangers, knocking on their doors, asking them to buy something that I assumed they didn’t want, having to smile and thank them and give the little speech every time. Cookie booths, where Girl Scouts sell outside of grocery stores, were marginally better. It wasn’t as direct of contact, because people had to come to you, but also you were supposed to try to get people to come over through talking to them or just staring them down, which was terrible. And because my mom was the leader, if anyone canceled or didn’t sign up for a cookie booth time, I had to go and do it.

I did enjoy being a Girl Scout overall, especially once I got older and didn’t have to go through the nonsense of cookie selling. My vests are super cool, because they have so many patches on them.
Starlight

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:28 pm
My longest friendship was somewhere around 8 years long. We met when I was in elementary school. Every Sunday afternoon we would meet up and do things. Sometimes we did crafts or painted or drew (I had a friend who got me really interested in drawing, I passed it on to her). Sometimes we went online because she had a laptop all to herself and it was super cool (we tried writing fanfiction together at one point. It didn’t go very far).  At one point we made a series of videos with finger puppets; we recorded little shows and had props and a little stage and some very bad audio quality (one time we did a show for 20 minutes before realizing we hadn’t pressed record on the camera). We would also just sit around and talk (I have a vivid memory of us talking about time travel, also about various books).

She was a year older than me, and talked regularly about how homeschooling (she was homeschooled) was superior to public education. She played piano and found a lot of things wrong in a lot of media, and would argue why it was wrong. For a long time, I assume she was better than me, without question, because she was homeschooled and had these opinions that I assumed had some backing I just didn’t understand (they didn’t). When I got into high school, I started having more things to do and often couldn’t or didn’t want to spend the afternoon with her. She and a mutual friend started doing things together, without inviting me and without me (I don’t know even now if it would’ve been better or worse to be told, but they tried to keep anything they did a secret). She was really competitive and would respond to a lot of things with challenges or attacks (it was hard to want to share anything when I was with her).

We drifted apart. When I got into college, I met my current friends and realized how happy they made me, and realized how I didn’t get the any sort of overwhelming happiness from being with her. I mostly felt defensive when I was with her. Half of the conversations we had, I left feeling drained. And so… I stopped initiating conversations. It was half unconscious, because I was busy with classes and life, but it was also half conscious, because I realized I didn’t really want to interact with her much.

Our relationship had a gradual ending; we had mentally moved away from each other over a long time.
Sponsored content